Safe and Supportive Learning
Virtual Professional Learning Series:
An Opportunity for Select County Offices of Education in California
The California Center for School Climate (CCSC), a project of the California Department of Education (CDE) operated by WestEd, provides school climate and data use support and trainings at NO COST to the LEAs in California. Small teams of 2–4 staff members from County Offices of Education (COEs) are invited to apply for Cohort 3 of the Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (SSLE) Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series. Individual COE staff members are welcome to apply.
SSLE Essentials Overview
Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (SSLE) Essentials is a virtual professional learning series for K–12 educators and education leaders in California. The series focuses on many topics that may be familiar, such as trauma-informed, restorative, and culturally responsive practices; social and emotional learning (SEL); school climate; and related whole-person topics, with attention to equity throughout.
CCSC SSLE Essentials Cohort 3 will lead COE staff to integrate a broad cluster of research-based content and culturally responsive practices that inherently work together to foster safe and supportive learning environments. Participants will work closely with SSLE facilitators and fellow participants as they develop the mindsets, knowledge, and capacity needed to infuse these practices into the everyday work of their COE and support their local schools and districts. NOTE: This opportunity is not a train-the-trainer model; however, the format, concepts, and strategies are designed specifically to build the knowledge and capacity of COE staff to support their local schools and districts.
CCSC Cohort 3: Nine (9) synchronous sessions held weekly on Tuesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Session Dates: February 7, February 14, February 21, February 28, March 7, March 14, March 21, March 28, and April 4
Time Commitment: Eighteen (18) hours (9 sessions) synchronous learning time. Approximately one (1) hour of practice and reflection between sessions.
For a limited time, course fees are covered by the CCSC. There is NO COST for participants to attend.
Who Should Apply
County Offices of Education best suited to successfully participate in Cohort 3 of the SSLE Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series have the following practices, systems, and supports in place:
- Close working relationships with local districts or schools and a solid understanding of their needs, challenges, and strengths as they relate to school climate;
- Demonstrated commitment to prioritizing school climate at the COE level;
- Culture of collaboration, reflection, and growth; and
- Leadership support for staff members to attend sessions, work collaboratively between sessions, try out new strategies and practices, and share learnings and takeaways with colleagues.
COE Staff Members best suited to successfully participate in Cohort 3 of the SSLE Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series will commit to:
- Participating in all nine (9) synchronous sessions (two-hours per) and asynchronous practice, reflection, and collaboration between sessions (about an hour each);
- Working collaboratively with their team to apply learnings to internal COE systems and supports provided to local schools and districts; and
- Focusing on their own personal and professional growth.
How to Apply
Please consider the criteria and commitments detailed above. Complete one application for your COE team.