Safe and Supportive Learning
Virtual Professional Learning Series
Cohort 4 (Fall 2023) – An Opportunity for Select School and District Teams in California
Apply Now! Applications Due June 30
The California Center for School Climate (CCSC), a project of the California Department of Education (CDE) operated by WestEd, provides school climate and data use support and trainings at NO COST to the LEAs in California.
Teams of 3-5 staff members from California schools and districts are invited to apply for Cohort 4 of the Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (SSLE) Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series, taking place between August and December 2023.
SSLE Essentials Overview
Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (SSLE) Essentials is a virtual professional learning series for K–12 educators and education leaders in California. The series focuses on many topics that may be familiar, such as trauma-informed, restorative, and culturally responsive practices; social and emotional learning (SEL); school climate; and related whole-person topics, with attention to equity throughout.
CCSC SSLE Essentials Cohort 4 will lead school/district staff to integrate a broad cluster of research-based content and culturally responsive practices that inherently work together to foster safe and supportive learning environments. Participants will work closely with SSLE facilitators and fellow participants as they develop the mindsets, knowledge, and capacity needed to infuse these practices into the everyday instruction and experiences of their schools and districts. NOTE: This opportunity is not a train-the-trainer model; however, the format, concepts, and strategies are designed specifically to build the knowledge and capacity of the participating teams to support their local schools (for district teams) and educators(for school teams).
- CCSC Cohort 4: Nine (9) synchronous sessions held on Tuesdays from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. PT
- Session Dates: August 29, September 12, September 26, October 10, October 24, November 7, November 14, November 28, and December 12
- Time Commitment: Eighteen (18) hours (9 sessions) synchronous learning time. Approximately one (1) hour of practice and reflection between sessions. Synchronous learning occurs via Zoom. Asynchronous practice and reflection occurs via Canvas Learning Management System between sessions.
|Essential 1 – Together We Will: Placing Our Work Into Context||Understanding the SSLE Essentials; education paradigms; technical vs. adaptive work; systems and context|
|Essential 2 – How Brain Science Informs Teaching and Learning||Brain architecture and emotional regulation; window of tolerance; behavior as communication|
|Essential 3 – The Role of Self-Care and Bringing Our Whole Selves to Work||Signs of dysregulation in ourselves; self-care and brain science; getting and staying regulated; connection and belonging; mindsets|
|Essential 4 – Person–Context Interactions||Physical environments for student success; relationships; responding vs. reacting|
|Essential 5 – Person–Context Interactions, continued||Teaching and modeling SEL skills and strategies; building trust and safety|
|Essential 6 – Power, Culture, and Social Context||Culture and context; culturally responsive brain rules; social discipline window|
|Essential 7 – Voice, Agency, and Co-Creation||Student, staff, and family engagement; developmental assets; agency and shared decision-making|
|Essential 8 – Leadership and Systems Supports||Personal and collective reflection; Adaptive leadership; implementation drivers (leadership); personal leadership goals|
|Essential 9 – Sustainability||Implementation drivers (competency and organization); prioritizing actions and strategies; bringing the SSLE Essentials back to your school or district; next steps and commitments|
For a limited time, course fees are covered by the CCSC. There is NO COST to participants to attend.
Who Should Apply
School and District teams best suited to successfully participate in Cohort 4 of the SSLE Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series have the following practices, systems, and supports in place:
- Close working relationships with schools (for district teams) and educators (for school teams) and a solid understanding of their needs, challenges, and strengths as they relate to school climate;
- Culture of collaboration, reflection, and growth; and
- Leadership support for staff members to attend sessions, work collaboratively between sessions, try out new strategies and practices, and share learnings and takeaways with colleagues.
School and District team members best suited to successfully participate in Cohort 4 of the SSLE Essentials Virtual Professional Learning Series will commit to:
- Participating in all nine (9) synchronous sessions (two-hours per) and asynchronous practice, reflection, and collaboration between sessions (about an hour each);
- Working collaboratively with their team to apply learnings to internal systems and supports provided to local schools and districts; and
- Focusing on their own personal and professional growth.
How to Apply
Please consider the criteria and commitments detailed above. Complete one application for your school or district team.
Apply Now! Accepting applications until June 30, 2023
Interested in Participating as an Individual?
Add your information to the CCSC SSLE Interest List to be notified when details and applications are available for the next cohort.
For more information about the Safe and Supportive Learning Environments Essentials, visit the CCSC SSLE webpage or email us at email@example.com.