School safety has become an increasing concern for education leaders, especially as recent years have marked record highs for shootings, wildfires, and other emergencies on school campuses.
A few Youth Advisory Team members described how school staff tend to emphasize order, control, and hierarchies in their exchanges with students, which harms their ability to express themselves and build relationships at school. Part two of this two-part brief examines the role that school safety plays in students’ classroom experiences in addition to the overall well-being of school communities.
- Alexa Southall, 10th grade student
- Jubia Chavez, 12th grade student
- Amiya Farias, 11th grade student
- Julian Berkowitz–Sklar, 12th grade student
- Aisha Bilgrammi, 10th grade student
View the transcript from this audiocast
Download the brief