Safe and Supportive Learning
Virtual Professional Learning Series
The California Center for School Climate (CCSC), is currently offering Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (SSLE) Essentials, a virtual professional learning series for K-12 educators and education leaders. The series focuses on many topics that may be familiar, such as trauma-informed, restorative, and culturally responsive practices; social and emotional learning (SEL); school climate; and related whole-person topics, with attention to equity throughout.
The SSLE Essentials lead educators and education leaders to integrate a broad cluster of research-based content and culturally responsive practices that inherently work together to foster safe and supportive learning environments. Participants work closely with SSLE facilitators and fellow participants as they develop the mindsets, knowledge, and capacity needed to infuse these practices into the everyday instruction and experiences of their schools, districts, and agencies.
Interest list for Spring 2024 now open!
What You Will Learn
With the facilitation, coaching, and technical assistance from our multidisciplinary team, self-reflection, and close collaboration with fellow participants, you learn how to:
- Reflect on and adapt practices to shift values, attitudes, mindsets, biases and beliefs on personal/individual, interpersonal/collective and structural/systemic levels.
- Understand sustainable systems and structures to promote effective implementation, scale-up, and ongoing improvement.
- Lead improvement efforts that meaningfully engage staff, students, and families as equal partners to co-create equitable conditions for learning.
Who Will Benefit
- K-12 school district superintendents and administrators
- Principals and site administrators
- Teacher leaders, behavior specialists, intervention coordinators
- Counselors, school psychologists, and mental health professionals
Principles and Elements
Comprising a practical and manageable scope and sequence for learning and application, the SSLE Essentials series includes the following principles and elements:
- Offers collaborative and experiential learning with weekly opportunities for practice and self-reflection
- Fosters a safe and engaged learning community in which to learn and grow with education peers across California
- Provides educator-friendly language that removes stigma and simplifies similar or overlapping concepts
- Brings together the most important or “essential” pieces of the research, frameworks, practices, and lenses that help create and sustain safe and supportive learning environments
Over the course of the series, synchronous learning occurs in two-hour sessions via Zoom. Asynchronous practice and reflection occurs via Canvas Learning Management System between sessions.
For more information, email us at [email protected].